Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why first graders shouldn't have cell phones

If you read my first post you know that I have a prejudice against giving small children cell phones.  Today another brick in my wall of prejudice was cemented...a first grader came up to me while I was on recess duty and told me she couldn't walk, run, jump or skip.  So, don't do any of those things, I responded.  
But my mom told me to call her, can I go to the office?
Why don't you go sit on the bench and rest for awhile instead?
She gives me a long look and doesn't move.
Ok, how about you go play on the swings, they don't involve walking, running, jumping or skipping.
She sulkily 'skips' off to the swings.  
The next thing I know, the secretary is on the playground.  Looking for the disabled girl.  Her mother is in the office to pick her up.  How did she know that her little darling was in need of a rescue from the evil playground?  The first grader had a cell phone in her pocket and she called her mother from the playground!

No comments:

Post a Comment