Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cell phones, stupid complaints, and seriously oblivious people

Last night was a bad night at work. There were a few things that happened that were quite outrageous.

Ok, first of all, going along with the theme of Mom's and Leslie's posts, people seriously need to learn when cells are appropriate, and when they're not. I had a table of 6 who were ordering their food. They weren't actually ready, but one woman insisted on "ordering" then instead of letting me get drink refills for another table while they figured out what to order. So I finally get everyone's order except for that one woman. She orders a salad. I ask her what kind of dressing she'd like when her phone rings. She answers. While I'm standing there holding everyone's menus and trying to get her order she has a conversation with someone from work about some paperwork that so and so didn't get done in time. Finally another woman notices me standing there looking quick flabbergasted that this woman is actually doing this and pokes her, so she says "Oh hold on a second, I'm trying to order my dinner and the waitress is waiting," looks up at me, says "blue cheese" and gets right back on the phone. How do you not realize that that's incredibly rude? I was in the middle of asking her a question!! grrs.

Ok so then an hour or so later I drop off a check at a table and they give me coupons for $5 off that actually expired on Halloween, but we go ahead and honor them anyway cuz we're nice like that. They leave and I pick up their credit card slips. On one was written "This price is outrageous! Totally not worth it AT ALL!!! I'm never coming back again! Call me if you need to talk *phone number*" I saw that and couldn't help but laugh. It might as well have said "Call me and give me something for free." For the record, after we took off the $5 her bill came to $47, and included 2 pizzas, 2 desserts (with ice cream added to both), 2 drinks, and a salad. Tell me a restaurant where you can get that for under $50.

So THEN it's like 9:30 and I have no tables and we close in 30 mins. For some reason they don't phase me (being "phased" means you stop taking tables and do some sidework in the kitchen and then go home). Then I get double sat. Fine, at least I'm making money, right? Except that then one of the tables ends up staying until after 11 (even though they knew we closed at 10) ordering cappacinos and long island iced teas, so the bartender couldn't do his sidework. They were there for so long in fact, that when they finally left I had hit 6 hours and 4 minutes in my shift, and had to clock out for a 30 minute break just so I could actually clock out and go home. And, of course, they tipped me a whole $6 on their $40 check. 15% is fine enough when you're an easy table during actual buisness hours, but when you make me stay there for an extra HOUR AND A HALF you had damn well tip me more than that.

Ok I'm done venting.

I feel better. :)

Susannah

1 comment:

  1. I work in the restaurant industry and if you think that people "had better damn well tip you" then you're in the wrong business princess. Tipping is always good for the extra cash but be under no illusion that the customer has to give you extra money. you're being paid to do your job after all.

    ReplyDelete