Tuesday, May 26, 2009

No Junior Mints, WHAT?

So hung out with the little kid sister yesterday. Gretchen, now 13 wanted to see "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past," why? Because it has Matthew McConaughey in it. Ok Gretchen, that's the movie we'll go see.

First we had to do lunch. It's hard picking a place with her when she loves so much junk food and can't give me a real answer when I ask her what she wants. So since we we're going to Edwards to see the movie, I chose Johnny Rockets. We had a nice lunch and couldn't finish all our food.

Then we went to get tickets for the movie. After we got the tickets, it was of course, time to go get candy to sneak into the theatre. First we went to VONS. Gretchen wanted sour patch kids. I like them too. But she insists she hates other sour candy and that it just tastes "sooo different." Uh-huh. I want Junior Mints of course, because you DON'T go to a movie WITHOUT JUNIOR MINTS! VONS didn't have any. So we didn't buy anything at VONS and went to Rite Aid instead. Got the Sour Patch Kids, but suprisingly not in normal size or jumbo size did Rite Aid have any Junior Mints. The tag existed for the candy, but an empty shelf was in its place. WHAT? How can you be ALL OUT of Junior Mints?



So I resigned myself to pay the $4 or more at the Theatre for Junior Mints. We picked our seats and then I went back to the counter to get my candy. The candy is now sitting on racks outside the concession stand instead of inside that little glass box. Resses Pieces, Red Vines, and some new nasty candy called Muddy Bears were a plenty. I did not see any Junior Mints. When I got to the counter the concession worker told me that they didn't have any. Not that they were out, but that they don't have them and do NOT sell them. Ever.

I asked to speak with her manager. Seriously, I did.

I asked her: "Please tell me your business decision for choosing not to sell Junior Mints."

She looked at me and said "We never sold Junior Mints, and I've been here for 8 years."

Now, I know that I have some funky stuff going on upstairs, but it's only been 5 years since I've been away from Bako and I told her "I think you're mistaken because I haven't been away that long and I've had Junior Mints before..."

She went on to tell me that they just don't have them because they have a contract with Nestle and Hershey's. Who the hell distributes Junior Mints?

Ok fine, don't sell them. Your patrons are now 3x as likely to bring in their own candy from other stores, not just because they have the junior mints but all their other candy will be cheaper too.

Not smart.

So the reason for all the missing Junior Mints at the Marketplace shops is no longer a mystery.

3 comments:

  1. We take our food shortages very seriously here in Outrageland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and from a business standpoint-you must give the customers what they want! It wasn't like I was asking for something inappropriate like candy corn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am really going to hoard the box of Jr Mints in my desk at work!

    ReplyDelete